Sunday, March 9, 2008

Cloud House: The Beginning. 2008-09-03

Charlie Brown was my design instructor in St. Louis in the 1970's. On a 1992 visit to him, now in Oregon, he took me to breakfast at the Otis Cafe, and on to a house site he and his wife, Sue Donaldson, had recently acquired.
One can see why: it faces due south, with a view
of a river coming in from the east, of the coast
receeding southerly, and of the sea to the southwest.
Some vegetation management will help improve
seeing all of this.He set about designing a
week-end house, a coastal cottage.
Eventually Zhufeng and I came to reside in the Northwest and Charlie asked me if I would like to assist him in getting the documents ready for a building permit. "Sure", I said, thinking it would not take too long. Well, after getting a Geohazard Report written, approved, and confirmed, getting typical structural drawings done, getting the Homeowner's Association Design Review approval; the water department approval, the fire department approval, the Forest Service approval (it resides in a Scenic Research Study area; and the County Sanitarian's approval...some five years have gone by.
But on Friday last, I appeared at the County offices, drawings, documents, and letters in tow, and here Kara started the process by checking to see if all the required pieces of paper were with me, and then stamping them "Received". She was followed by a Zoning Planner, who reviewed on the spot the Zoning and GeoHaz aspects. Three hours later, dazed and wondering if I was back at the border seeking admission into Syria (that took 5 hours), I stumbled out into the rain, Permit Number and receipt for Permit Fee in hand.
Now it is on to figuring out how to get Cloud House up into the air.

No comments: